Friday, February 01, 2008

Feeling better...

I feel much better today. I haven’t been able to get the thyroid thing out of my head because my brain automatically followed this thought process: Swollen Thyroid = Nodules = Cancer. Yes, there’s that “C” word rearing its ugly head in my life, yet again. As if it isn’t enough to lose two beloved parents from it. As if it isn’t enough to have my sweet, wonderful Father-in-Law suffering with it even now. That horrible word seems to be ever-present in my life; it just won’t go away. (I’ve said the word once I will not say it again. It will be “it” from now on.) Sandy had her neighbor the doctor call me yesterday to discuss the situation and give her educated opinion on what she thought it might be, which, thank God, is not...it. She says that, without seeing the lab or ultrasound results, she would be pretty confident with a diagnosis of something called a Multinodule Goiter. Yay. Now, even though I have not been officially diagnosed yet, I feel MUCH better about the entire thing. Yes, it’s no fun knowing that very soon I’m going to be having needles stuck into my neck and that the possibility of surgery is pretty good, but I still feel better. I can deal with this. I’m a strong person and I have to remember that there are people in this world who have problems much worse than mine. Because I felt better mentally, I actually managed to sleep last night; when I wasn’t being interrupted by one or the other of my children who simply cannot manage to sleep through the night! Greta was up no less than four times and Charlie was up twice. Jamie cannot hear them unless I pound on him to wake up (remember, he’s deaf in one ear) and then he wakes up grumpy and complaining, so I usually just deal with the kids myself at night. I guess it’s the concept of, “I have them though the entire day, you can deal with them through the entire night.” Not that I’m complaining, or anything! :) It’s no wonder none of us gets any sleep. Anyway – I’m feeling better and will just wait patiently for my doctor to call me. I did call them yesterday to voice my concern and ask if they knew anything yet. The lady who answered the phone said that the reports were back, but the doctor was out sick and so someone else was reading her reports and seeing her patients. This was a nice way of saying, “You’re report is in a stack of paperwork that no one has time to read because we’re short-staffed today.” I’ll keep you posted! Thanks for your all your thoughts, prayers, and kind words! TTFN, JMS

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Having thyroid illness myself, I've found that thyroid-related problems are very common. Mine is Hashimoto's Disease, resulting in hypothyroidism and I just have to take a cheap little pill every morning. The great thing is that they can usually fix thyroid problems very effectively and it will make you feel much better, including your emotions. I'm praying it is a simple solution for you and that you can start feeling better very soon!