Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Update on "The Story"

I've now written five more pages. I'm pleased with the way this is turning out, even though I still really don't know how to connect everything. It's funny - every detail about these folks is so real to me. The woman's (whose name is Evelyn Markum, by the way...don't know where I got that but I like it.) house is completely constructed, furnished, decorated, and lived-in inside my head. I know where the pantry is in relation to the front door, I know which room the master bedroom is over and I know that Evelyn cannot see Officer Romani pass by in his cruiser becuase her front door is solid. That was funny. I tried to incorporate Evelyn and Romani just briefly in the same chapter and I wanted Evelyn to be sitting at her kitchen table and see the cruiser pass by her house, but from where she was sitting, that would not have been possible because the solid front door was obstructing her view. I thought, "Well that won't work!" So I took it out. Anyway - I don't think that I am going to post any more of it on the blog. First of all, the sections are too long, and though I usually write a lot because I can't help myself, nearly 5,000 words of story would be ridiculous to try to post here. Secondly, I am struggling somewhat with the story line and I don't want anyone poking holes in what I've already written until I finalize some ideas and make things a little more coherent. If you're desperate to find out what happens, let me just say that in the chapter I just wrote, Evelyn remembers how Jerry's mug got broken. It's a little wordy, but I can't take out more than I already have because then none of it would make sense. Believe me, nearly 5,000 words is about 3,000 less that it was originally. Anyway - I'm going to keep writing it because now that these people and places are so alive for me I cannot stop making them alive for someone else. Thanks for your interest and I hope that you're not disappointed by not getting any more sneak previews! TTFN JMS

No comments: