Wednesday, January 28, 2009

H.O.U.S.E.W.O.R.K. should be a 4-letter word

I've decided something. It's almost an epiphany. It seems very profound. HA! I've decided that there is one thing - just one thing - that any person is really good at; and I'm speaking here only in terms of H.O.U.S.E.W.O.R.K. (That should be a 4-letter word; it makes me shudder and seems vile and vulgar and anyone who utters it should have their mouth washed out with soap like Ralphie in A Christmas Story.) For example: I am good at the laundry. As much as I hate laundry I'm good at doing the laundry. I can separate whites and lights and darks like a champ. I know what to wash in cold, warm or hot. I know what needs a delicate cycle and needs to hang to dry. I'm usually very good at remembering to check pockets; though sometimes something does slip through. Another example: Hubby is good at doing the dishes. As much as he hates doing the dishes, he really is very good at this task. He knows what needs to go on the top rack of the dishwasher and what needs to get hand-washed. He really does excel it. Hubby is also extremely good at ironing; I am not. In fact, I absolutely hate, loathe and despise ironing and get so frustrated when I try that I wind up making a bigger mess than I had when I started! The only part of dish washing that I seem to excel at is loading the dishwasher, but that is only because I learned from a champ! My mother taught me how to "bend dishes" when I only came up to her knees and it's a task I've never forgotten. Of course, this skill was probably taught to her by her mother, my grandmother - but I don't know how long dishwashers have been around so I can't go back any farther than that!!! LOL! Hubby is also very good at laundry, but he usually only does his own stuff - unless I get behind (which happens) and then he'll throw in a load or two. He has to wash all the sheets from his massage business every day, so he gets extra duty and our washer doesn't get paid overtime. Our water bill definitely suffers with as much laundry as we do in a week! So what H.O.U.S.E.W.O.R.K. skill do you have? Do you excel at? Are you champion with the Swiffer Duster? Are you queen (or king) of the mop? Does your sink shine like the top of the Chrysler Building in NY? Is your bathroom spotless? I'm just wondering if my theory - my epiphany - is valid...so help me out here! TTFN JMS

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I am with you...housework is a four letter word! I don't know that I am a champ at any particular type of housework, but I will agree with you about the ironing. I'm pretty sure I don't even own an iron! If the wrinkles don't fall out in the dryer, then it goes to goodwill.