Friday, May 02, 2014

Pitch Perfect: A Movie Review

In the age of (mostly) modern technology, we have the ability to purchase an electronic copy of a movie and watch it (oh my goodness!) on our very own little shiny devices of destraction - whatever that device may be.  Ages ago, I purchased an electronic copy of the movie Pitch Perfect and it, along with some other favs, will be watched again and again.

I watched it...again...last night.

Here's why I like it.

First of all, it's funny.  Like laugh right out loud funny.  Okay yeah, there's definitely an element of gross in the form of two separate instances of projectile vomiting (though not in a Linda Blair kind of way), and some sexual allusions and innuendos - so it's definitely not safe for children or, probably, even most teenagers (if you want my humble opinion).  It should be watched with an element of caution if you have either of those types of 2-legged creatures around.  (Don't look all confused, you know I'm talking about the children and teenagers.)

Second, it's original.  I like that it's not (to my knowledge) a remake of anything.  The plot is totally predictable (my opinion, feel free to make it yours) but it does not matter where the movie ends, it's how the movie gets to the end!  The story is fun.  The characters are ridiculous but lovable for the most part; there are a couple of them I'd like to punt into next week. And their relationships with one another are relatable.  (Wow - that's a lot for a comedy.)

Third, it's got singing.  Singing always sucks me in.  And not just singing, but A cappella singing!  (I'm totally a fan of The Sing Off, though I tend to miss it because of the whole being busy all the time thing.)  How much talent does a person or a group need to have to sing with zero musical accompaniment?  TONS!  And it's awesome!  Gives me goosebumps every time.

And finally, you know how I can tell when a movie is good?  When I realize that I've been smiling like the Cheshire Cat for the last five minutes and don't remember what made me smile to begin with!

So, now that I'm finished with my first impromptu movie review, I suggest you run yourself right over to the nearest video store (or amazon instant video - take your pick) and get a copy of Pitch Perfect.  Even my dear hubby (a real guys guy) said, "It was better than I thought it would be,"  which, for him, is high praise.

TTFN
JMS

No comments: