Tuesday, March 03, 2015

It's practically a requirement

One of the things I love about being a mom is getting to spend one on one time with my kids.  They spend a lot of time together, and for the most part, they get along pretty well - with a few pushy-shovey-he-said-she-said-that’s-mine-no-it’s-mine thrown in for good measure.  Because really, what would parenthood be without those special and important parts of a parent’s resume: peacekeeper, disciplinarian, human lie detector, etc.?  You get the drift.  But when they’re together, they’re always in some kind of competition with one another; for my time, for hubby’s time, for the stuff (whatever that stuff may be).

I mentioned several (ok a dozen or so) posts ago that one of my new favorite things is the kids sweetly competing for hugs from me in the mornings before I leave. The hug from boy-child, who relinquishes me to his sister so girl-child can hug me, but then he scoots around us so he can get behind her for yet another hug from me, then she follows the pattern, and so on and so forth until I have to say, “Ok guys, I’ve really got to go!  Love you!” and scoot out the door.  This truly could go on forever, but I love it.

However, when there is an opportunity for me to spend quality one on one time with one or the other of my kiddos, I do my best to jump on it.  They each know that I love them and care about what they have to say, and this alone time is an opportunity for me to prove it.  Not with stuff but with time.

Tonight, Hubby took girl-child to Girl Scouts.  So boy-child and I went to Firehouse Subs and had a mutually agreeable dinner together and the conversation spanned from school, to standardized testing, to Minecraft, to the new-fangled drink machine the restaurant has, The Weather Channel, weather in general, and opinions about many other topics.  My son has an amazing capacity to understand things far beyond his 11 years; he is so wise.  Then we hit the local thrift store, just to see what they had, and as we wandered, we searched for various things that might interest us – just because.  He wanted to get a Beanie Baby for his sister.  Then we found a t-shirt that says, “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” on it and he said, “MOM! Don’t you think [girl-child] would loooo-oooove that?”  So we got that, too.  He’s a sweet kid and thinks of his little sister even without a parent prompting him.

Now we’re home, the laundry is tumbling, teeth have been brushed and we’re hanging out together talking about a game on his tablet called “Hay Day” – which is kind of like FarmVille, but not.  And he has been touting the virtues of becoming a landscape architect “because it’s so satisfying to arrange things on [his] farm so they are pleasing to the eye.”  I’m quoting; that actually came out of his mouth.

Anyway – I really enjoy hanging out with my kids.  When boy-child goes to Scouts with Hubby, I hang out with girl-child and that can mean anything from cooking a simple meal together, to just throwing together a snack plate (covering all the nutritional bases, of course) and curling up in bed together to watch a Disney movie.  We talk about all kinds of stuff too, just different stuff.

I guess that I’m kind of lucky that I actually enjoy my kiddos.  I know there are lots of parents out there who think of their kids as accessories, or worse, a burden.  I feel sorry for those parents.  They have absolutely no idea what they’re missing.

TTFN
JMS

No comments: