Friday, September 25, 2015

SERIES: Jen's Library (#1)


You have probably already discovered I am an avid reader.  When I have time, reading is my preferred activity of choice; sometimes even when I don't really have time.  Either way, my dream is to have a beautiful library stuffed full with books of all shapes and sizes and genres, comfy couches and chairs, a fireplace, lots of light, and a cat - and the time to read them all at my leisure.  It's a lovely dream; don't shatter it.

Anyway - since I've had a personal writing drought for the last however many months, I thought, in order to get me back in the writing game, I'd write about reading.  Meaning, I've considered several of my favorite books and have written down some thoughts on each one.  They're trite little snippets of insight which truly might allow you to learn more about me than the books themselves, however I'll enjoy the process of writing about some of my favorite books, stories and authors.  I'll post one of these trite little snippets every so often and call the series Jen's Library.

And now, without any further ado:


BEATRIX POTTER'S THE ROLY-POLY PUDDING

I love pretty much any story by Beatrix Potter, but especially The Roly-Poly Pudding.  Originally published in 1908 as The Roly-Poly Pudding, later re-published in 1926 as The Tale of Samuel Whiskers.  I prefer the original title; it appeals to the little kid in me.  Tom Kitten gets away from his nervous mother, Mrs. Tabitha Twitchit, and climbs up the chimney to hide.  He discovers a crack and squeezes through only to find two huge rats, Mr. Samuel Whiskers and his wife, Anna Maria.  They capture Tom Kitten, steal some dough, butter and a rolling pin from Mrs. Twitchit’s pantry, and proceed to roll Tom into a pudding, intent on having him for their supper.  Tom escapes, of course, but is somewhat traumatized thereafter by rats.  His sisters, on the other hand, become excellent mousers.  I also love The Tale of Jemima Puddle Duck, a hapless white duck who, in an attempt to hatch her own eggs, gets hoodwinked by a fox.  Don’t get me wrong, all of the “popular” ones are wonderful, too: The Tale of Peter Rabbit (1902), The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin (1903), The Tale of Benjamin Bunny (1904), The Tale of Tom Kitten (1907), The Tale of the Flopsy Bunnies (1909) 

Yeah.  I have a problem.

TTFN
JMS

No comments: