Friday, October 02, 2015

SERIES: Jen's Library (#2)


A.A. MILNE'S WHEN WE WERE VERY YOUNG
&
NOW WE ARE SIX 

These lovely little books are poetry compilations, and they are the foundation for my love of poetry.  The book When We Were Very Young was originally published in 1924.  I tried to choose my favorite poems from WWWVY, but I failed; I love practically the whole thing.  The book Now We Are Six was originally published in 1927 and probably my favorite poem from that book is King John’s Christmas, followed closely by all the rest.  I really have difficulty choosing a favorite.  I love watching the faces of my kids (and others) when I read them a poem or two from either one of these books.  I read one about a knight whose armor didn’t squeak to my 11 year old son the other night and watched his face light up with laughter.  I think these poems appeal to kids and adults alike.  These little gems are whimsical, nonsensical, lyrical and fun, and the reason why I’m such a goofball most of the time.  And while we’re on the subject of Winnie the Pooh, please don’t give me Pooh with the red shirt.  I prefer original, “naked” Pooh Bear - before Disney gave him clothes.

TTFN
JMS

No comments: