Thursday, November 26, 2015

Alphabetical Thankfulness

Below is a list of things for which I am thankful - in alphabetical order.  This wasn't easy for me to do.  I had trouble coming up with something for each letter, and had trouble sticking to one thing for some of them.  I figured posting this on Thanksgiving would be a good idea.

Warning: This is long.  Longer than I expected it to be when I set out.  I was originally going to simply list things (letter - word of thing I am thankful for) but I understood quickly an explanation was necessary for each in order for you, my dear reader, to understand, too.  And, though I didn't use it, understanding is something I am thankful for and supposed you may be thankful for it, too.

So, without further ado:

ALPHABETICAL THANKFULNESS

A - APPLES.  Not all apples, though, because I'm particular, but particularly honey crisp and granny smith apples.  Yum.  I'm thankful for them because they are always a good go-to snack for girl-child to eat.  Since we just figured out boy-child might have a legitimate allergy to them, we're avoiding them for him for a while, though he loves them and is bummed about it.  Add to that hubby's homemade apple pie, which is just perfect.  Yep.  I'm thankful for apples.

B - BOY CHILD. I am thankful for boy-child because he is loving and kind and wants to learn.  Because, at nearly twelve years old, he still likes to hang out with me and still occasionally wants to snuggle.  Because he is super-quick on the uptake and I don't have to explain much to him.  Because he talks to me - maybe especially for this reason - and I want to make sure he knows he can talk to me about anything, any time, forever and always and he seems to be on board with this.  And, last but not least, because he's kinda cute and I think I might keep him.

C - CATS. I am thankful for cats.  Because they are warm and furry and have a mind (and attitude) of their own.  Because they are excellent therapy when I need a little boost and because rubbing my face in their fur makes me feel better - even if I sneeze my head of afterward.  That's why God invented allergy medicine.  COFFEE.  I am thankful for coffee because it's my Life Juice and the thing which allows me to speak to people in a civil manner.

D - DOGS. I am thankful for dogs.  Because they are silly and sweet and love you unconditionally.  And for the same reasons I stated under "C" - including the sneezing.

E - ELEPHANTS. Yes.  Elephants.  I just love them and I am grateful they share a planet with me.  Because they remind me of my mother, and because they have so many different meanings for me.

F - FOOD. I love to eat.  Dieting is hard.  I am thankful today is Thanksgiving and therefore I get to eat so many of my favorite things including stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce - from a can.  Sliced.  FRIENDS.  Because I wouldn't be who/where I am today with out them and they keep me sane.  FACEBOOK.  Because it's a good way to keep in touch with those friends.  And FAMILY.

G - GIRL CHILD. I am thankful for girl-child because she is loving and kind and wants to learn.  Because she is always excited for girl's night, even if the only thing on the agenda is hanging out with her old mother.  Because she loves you so effusively she sometimes needs hug you, hard, and to squeeze you until you can't breathe.  Because, at eight years old, she already loves to cook, is an amazing singer and always remembers the words.  Because she loves her stuffed animals almost as much as she loves real, alive animals.  And, of course, because she's cute and I think I'll probably keep her as well.

H - HUBBY. Because he's an amazing daddy to our children.  Because he can change the oil in the car and fix things which need fixing.  Because he can mow the lawn in a straight line.  Because he likes to cook and cooks so well that I don't have to.  Because he can sing.  Because sometimes, when he hugs me, he makes me feel like all my broken parts are back together.

I - ICE. For beverages.  Because I couldn't think of anything else which started with an "I" to be thankful for, so I'm running with it.  Because there's not a whole lot nicer than an ice cold drink on a hot day.  In tea.  In lemonade.  In water.  Not the stuff that falls from the sky, though.  Or the wet stuff on the ground which freezes and makes things slippery.  I'm not thankful for that kind of ice, just so we're clear.  Hey, ice is clear!  See what I did there?

J - JUNIPER. Because it smells good, and because one of my favorite people nicknamed me "Juniper" a long time ago and because every time I think about Juniper I think of my friend and it makes me smile.  JEANS. Because if I could wear them every day, I would.  JOB: I am thankful every day that I have a job I love and am good at.  Some folks are not as lucky as I am.

K - KITES. Flying kites with my kiddos is keen and one of my newly-discovered favorite activities.  I am thankful for wind to fly the kites, too, but maybe I need to put that under "W"...?  There is a nearby church with lots of unimpeded sky room, up on a hill above the surrounding trees, which is perfect for this pastime.

L - LAUGHING. One of my favorite books has one of my favorite quotes: "I dearly love a laugh...  I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good.  Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can." (Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice)  I am thankful for laughter, and all the things which amuse me enough to make me do so.

M - MACARONI AND CHEESE. I am thankful for macaroni and cheese because...well...it's amazing.  It's comfort food.  It's simple and wonderful and satisfying and it makes me happy.

N - NIGHTTIME. I am thankful for nighttime.  Not only as a time for rest and recovery from the day, but for the stars and the way the air smells and the way the darkness looks blue on some nights and deepest black on others.

O - OSCAR. This is silly, I suppose, but Oscar was a great and strong bulldog owned by a neighbor when I was a child.  Oscar would get so excited when he would see me, or my brother, he would wiggle from nose to stubby tail so violently he would vomit.  Today, I can't see a bulldog without thinking of Oscar, and I can't hear the name Oscar without thinking of the bulldog.  I am thankful for this memory - even if it involves vomit.  OUTSIDE. A wonderful invention.  People don't go there enough anymore.  I am thankful for the outside, and everything in it.

P - POTATOES. I love potatoes.  They come in lots of shapes and sizes and colors.  There are lots of ways to cook them, too.  But, rather than sound like Bubba from Forrest Gump (listing all they ways there are to cook shrimp) I will just say how grateful I am for potatoes.

Q - QUIRKS. I'm a quirky person, therefore I am full of quirks.  I like the way the word "quirk" sounds.  I like sharing my quirks with you, dear friends.  Therefore, I am thankful for my quirks.

R - READING. I could have listed this under B for Books, but I didn't because it doesn't just stay in one category like that.  For example, I like reading things on Facebook and in blogs and newspapers an magazines and email.  I just like reading.  Period.  And I am thankful for my sight and my ability to read.

S - SHELTER. Yes, I'm grateful for my home, but that's not actually the shelter I meant.  I meant the local Animal Shelter and the folks who work or volunteer there.  They work so hard to find homes for the fur babies who come through their doors.  They are a no-kill shelter.  They have volunteers who truly love the animals and do everything they can for them.  I'm thankful to be part of something bigger than myself, and thankful girl-child is my apprentice.

T - TENNESSEE. Of all the letters and things I am thankful for on this list, I struggled most with the letter "T" and coming up with something to elaborate on.  I arrived at "Tennessee" because it, of all the states in which I have lived, eventually became my true home.  Connecticut and Michigan both have too many bad memories attached to them and, while I still have friends and family in each whom I love dearly, I would not (could not - and now I sound like Dr. Seuss) move back to live in either one of them.  Visit?  Yes.  Live there?  Nope.  I lived in and around the Washington, D.C. area for a few years, but thinking back - diverting as that may be - I couldn't really make that area my home either as it was simply too busy for me.  Tennessee has, after just sixteen years, become my home.  I love the pace, I love the people and, at this point, I couldn't imagine living anywhere else.  So yes, I am thankful, in so many ways, for Tennessee.

U - UMBRELLAS. It's just a cool word, really: umbrella.  And, an umbrella is a very useful tool as it keeps one from getting too wet when it's raining or too burned when it's sunny.  Although I suppose that kind of umbrella is really called a parasol, but who's counting, right?  I'm thankful for my umbrella.

V - VOLUNTEERING.  Tying on to "S is for Shelter" and echoing yesterday's post regarding girl-child's and my time volunteering last weekend.  I'm grateful to be able to give my time as I see fit, and help where the need is greatest. I volunteer at church, too.  And, though sometimes I'm overwhelmed myself and wish someone would volunteer to clean my house (who am I kidding? That's all the time!) I am thankful I am able to do for others, and do unto others.

W - WRITING. Because...reasons.  Lots of them.  That's why.

X - XENON. It's a chemical element and it begins with X.  And, since I didn't want to go with the usual "X-ray" or "Xylophone", and since I work in Chemical Sciences (in a manner of speaking), and since it makes me seem like I know far more than I do, I'm thankful for Xenon.  Although it should be noted that I did not have to look it up to know how to spell it or know that it is a chemical element, so I suppose that could be evidence of a smidgen of smarts on my part, right?

Y - YELLOW. It's not a color I normally gravitate to, but it is the color of my favorite flower: yellow roses.  Yellow roses remind me of my mother, who died too young and whom I loved very deeply.  So, therefore, I am thankful for yellow.

Z - ZZZZ. Well, sleep, of course! I am thankful for catching some zzzzz's.  Sleep, when I get it, and especially when I get enough of it, is another wonderful invention.

"Now I know my A, B, C's - next time won't you sing with me?"

TTFN
JMS

PS: I'm not copying her on purpose, I promise! I started writing this several days ago and didn't get very far (this really is harder than it looks) but then I just saw that Ree Drummond (a.k.a. The Pioneer Woman) posted just about the same thing.  Hers is cooler though, because it has pictures.  So, officially, I cannot say I posted this first - but I may have thought of it first.  I guess we'll never know.  And it certainly doesn't matter.

No comments: