Sunday, June 18, 2006

Father’s Day Weekend 2006

SATURDAY: Hubby had to work in the morning, so sweet New Neighbor Lady (I’ve really got to give her a name so she’s not some anonymous person so for the purposes of this blog, I’ll refer to her as Theresa. I thought I’d also let you know that I absolutely adore her...) and I went to the Lavender Festival together with Kiddo. I purposefully did not bring any money with me because I knew I’d spend it if given the opportunity. Theresa purchased a bromeliad planted in a galvanized watering can - which, I must admit, I was highly covetous of. Lovely thing, the bromeliad. The one thing I would have purchased, had I any money, was a little person made of small, terra cotta pots, Spanish moss, and held together by wire and glue sitting on a little wire bench...an adorable thing...but it was $26.00 and I was not that desperate for it to go all the way home to get my checkbook. Kiddo was as good as gold, made several friends, and did not once complain about the heat - and let me tell you, it was HOT! ("How hot was it...") Theresa and I went home, spent a little time in her air conditioned house recovering from what could be considered a heat-induced exhaustion, and then I brought Kiddo home for a much-needed nap. I should have taken one too...my head had begun to hurt. Later, Hubby, Kiddo & I met up with Kiddo’s baby-sitter, her husband, & their two boys at the Secret City Festival for the WWII reenactment - an awesome display of tanks, guns, men in period uniforms, and many, many loud booms of tank fire and machine guns. All blanks, of course, but quite impressive and effective. We managed, somehow, so procure a spot in the direct sun of the 3:30 PM show. My head was still hurting and the booming was so loud that I finally had to leave half-way through the reenactment to search out a spot of shade and relative quiet. After the Secret City Festival, we all went for food, then spent some time at the local K-Mart and eventually parted ways at a surprising 8:30 PM (I couldn’t believe the time, except the pending darkness gave it away). Kiddo went to sleep almost immediately and we watched Mulan (with thanks to my friend, The Perpetual Student, who sent all her old VHS Disney movies to Kiddo because she no longer has a VCR), and then went to sleep. SUNDAY: Went to church. It was our pastor’s last Sunday so the mood was very somber and I honestly don’t remember much about the sermon because I was thinking about what our new pastor will be like and about how our current pastor is the reason we decided to join that church in the first place. I know change is inevitable, but it doesn’t make me happy right about now. We will most definitely miss him...but wish him, and his lovely family, much luck in their new endeavors. Then we met up with Theresa and her wonderful husband, Mario (sorry, it’s the only name that came to my head just now) at IHOP for a Father’s Day breakfast. Food was great, company was better, but Kiddo lost his cool right at the end and I had to remove him bodily from the restaurant and let him scream it out in the parking lot. It was definitely nap time, but even though he had the whole ride home to fall asleep, and then even after I put him to bed at home, he didn’t get to sleep until Hubby rocked him there about an hour later. We all took a nap, and then got up about (yes, I will admit it) 6:00 PM and headed out with a picnic dinner to Bissell Park for the outdoor concert of the Oak Ridge Symphony Orchestra. It was wonderful and included old favorites like the William Tell Overture and new pieces like the Harry Potter theme. Kiddo kept clapping and saying, "Do it again!" I think we've got a music-lover on our hands! This was most definitely a wonderful weekend. And now, work on Monday and the week starts over again. Happy Father’s Day! TTFN JMS

No comments: