Friday, June 16, 2006

Ups & Downs

I didn’t post yesterday, obviously; wasn’t interested in much and didn’t have much to say about anything. June 15th is a strange date in the history of my life (the date my mother passed away) and I frequently encounter an unconscious wall that shuts me down when it rolls around. Some years I manage to navigate smoothly around the date without incident or major emotion, other years, it hits me like a ton-of-bricks and I’m useless. Yesterday happened to fall under the “useless” category. Thank goodness I’ve got a boss who is an extremely understanding person. He recognized my difficulty, suggested I needed some time off, and sent me home early. I’m very lucky. So – I decided to pamper myself a little bit and went to get my nails done. When I went in, the very pregnant little lady with the mask on said, “It be few minutes, you want pedicure fust?” I thought, “Sure, why not?” So I sat in a comfy chair that had heat, vibration & rolling back massagers, while I enjoyed a thoroughly wonderful pedicure. Then I had my nails done. I didn’t ask ahead of time how much all this would cost, and honestly I didn’t care at that point. Ahem…manicure, pedicure and $73.00 later, I’m on my way home feeling quite pampered. Only a hot stone therapy massage could have made it any better! It was then that it occurred to me that I had reason to be happy! June 14th (day before yesterday) was the anniversary of the day I was adopted. It had been 12 years, so I guess you could call it my 12th birthday! Later, Hubby, Kiddo, Puppy Dog & I went for a 2 mile walk down at the marina, saw a great blue heron, lots of Canadian Geese, some ducks (and no, not the funky-looking one from a few posts ago), some local wildlife (er…Secret City residents), and many, many piles of stinky goose poop! But…a good time was had by all. When we got home we spent about an hour at New Neighbors house, had a brief visit from the Patriarch of the Clinton Clan who was out riding around on his Harley Davidson. And after 9:00, and realizing that Kiddo was still awake and getting crazier by the second, we said our goodbyes and went home to put Kiddo in bed. I’ve had a good life so far; lots of struggles and sadness, yes, but still a good life. And I wouldn’t be who I am or where I am today if I hadn’t endured those life-changing events. So, needless to say, yesterday was a bit of an emotional roller-coaster for me (thank God for Zoloft), but I got through it and I’m on to other things today. TTFN JMS

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenn,

I have learned to continue to thank God when those "downs" come because even in the midst of the "down" you are still blessed. The wonderful thing is that you made it through the day and you had $73 to pay for your pampering - some folks aren't so lucky. In everything give thanks - which I know that you do.

Love you Chica,
Rhonda

Anonymous said...

Jenn - For someone who lost her mother during her teen years, after your mom being sick for several years, you are doing so great and have such a great outlook on life and positive demeanor! I have rough days and no trauma to speak of.
I love reading about your life and how you make everyday events with you and your family special.
I know Aunt Mary would be proud of you! Love, Pam