Monday, July 10, 2006

Ponderings

I work for a company that is actively hiring new personnel. Something I've noticed that rubs me the wrong way every time I see it: people showing up for interviews (you know, those scary things that help employers determine if they want to hire you?) wearing jeans, t-shirts, and flip flops. Or, tight, belly-baring (popularly called "crop top") shirts, spandex-like pants and stilettos. (Can you say "Street Walker"?) Or, wrinkled khakis, sneakers, and wrinkled, sloppy shirts (Ahem…guys have you ever heard of something called an iron? It's not a new invention, you know…) (I watched a guy get out of his car today looking all spiffy and proceed to shut the door to his car, bend down, and check his pearly-whites in his car's side-view mirror – right in front of the Director's office. At least he was dressed appropriately.) Greasy, unwashed hair – ick. Baseball caps & sunglasses (inside). One guy even showed up with a black t-shirt that had a white logo of a hand "flipping the bird" to the world at large. Does it have anything to do with where I live or is this a general trend through the U.S.? TTFN JMS P.S.: You all (those to whom I send my e-mail notifications) should have gotten an e-mail from Kodak Gallery inviting you to view my recently posted pictures. I just want to make sure you know it really is from me, not some automatically generated thing trying to get you to sign up for something. I've done all that work for you; all you have to do is log-in!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's become a very casual world, I don't know why. A lot of people see nothing wrong with looking like that for an interview. I know that anyone we hire will have to make a clean, good impression the first time or we never bother calling them back,