Friday, February 15, 2008

Gas, Toothbrushing, Twitching Eye Lids & Broken Pieces

This morning, I got into my frozen vehicle, started the reluctant engine, and noticed that my “FEED ME SEYMOUR” gas light was on. (I have a hungry vehicle.) This obviously meant that I would need to make a stop at the gas station before heading out of town to work. Get ready for a gripe fest... First of all, it’s cold. I hate (HATE) filling up the car when my fingers feel like they’re about to freeze off! Second, when I pulled into the station, the big sign that informs all motorists of the price of a regular gallon of gas was $2.89/gal. By the time I had swiped my card to begin the process of filling up the tank, a dude was coming out of the station with the long suction-cup stick and two huge number 9’s. I quickly looked at the display on the pump which lists the amounts for regular, premium and supreme (whatever...) to see that it was still at $2.89/gal. (Phew!) Then...I finish pumping the gas. The little display thing asks me if I want a receipt, to which I respond a resounding “Yes” by enthusiastically pressing the YES button on the machine. (Hey, it’s cold!) Display reads, RECEIPT WITH ATTENDANT.” Um...isn’t the point of the pay-at-the-pump feature to get your receipt OUTSIDE so you don’t have to go INSIDE? That frustrates me to no end! So now I’ve got to go IN to the station to get my stupid receipt. (I realize that this is just the sort of behavior that quite a few news and media stations are talking about; that we’re becoming a lazy nation; but come on...!!?? Why have the service if it doesn’t do what it’s supposed to!?) Yes, I’m grumpy this morning. My right eye lid is twitching and has been since yesterday morning. It’s driving me crazy!!! Speaking of tooth brushing... I remember reading somewhere a list of questions; one of which was “How come people brush their teeth with their eyes closed?” I noticed myself brushing my teeth this morning with my eyes closed. I was concentrating very hard on reaching all my teeth – especially the back ones. I wonder if extreme concentration is the reason for the closed eyes. Oh...and last night I did something terrible that made me cry. Jamie - my sweet, loving, thoughtful husband, brought my Valentine's Day gifts to me at work yesterday; along with both of my adorable children. They were made to wait for about 20 minutes before I got to them because I was in a meeting. I received several different types of mint-chocolate candy and a wonderful pottery sculpture of a man and woman leaning over and kissing. It looked very old and was the perfect thing for our house; right colors and everything. I really loved it, though I'm not sure Jamie believed me. So the terrible thing...? I broke it last night. I set it on an upside-down Rubbermaid Tote in our living room, intending to put it on top of the curio cabinet when I could get back there (it's tucked in a corner), but I accidentally kicked the tote, pushing it just enough to wobble the lovely sculpture which promptly fell to the floor (about 15 inches down) and landed on the rug with a quiet "POP!" I'm left looking in surprise and dismay at about 100 shards of a beautiful piece of pottery that was completely intact just seconds before. I was stunned, embarrassed, worried, sick to my stomach, and most definitely upset; I quietly turned the movie I'd been watching off and sat there and cried. I picked up the pieces and put them in to the Pier 1 bag it came in and am hoping I can replace it - but I will always know it isn't the one that Jamie gave me. I hate that. I feel terrible. But it honestly was an accident - though I knew...I KNEW...that I should have put it on the curio cabinet right away. Why am I so lazy?! Why did I not just get up off my fat you-know-what and do it before getting involved in that stupid movie? I'm sorry, sweetie. Happy Valentine's Day. (Someone please, please, please give me a solution for this twitching eye lid!!!) TTFN JMS

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah.... the old twitching eyelid problem. This week I've also been suffering from this annoying problem, except for me... it's my left eye. The last time I had the twitching eyelid problem was at MMP and before that it was senior year of college while I was applying to vet school. ie: it is a stress related problem. In fact, I can feel the twitching increase in frequency during the peak of a stressful situation. So far the only way I can get it to stop is to press gently on the offending muscles and try to de-stress myself. Deep, meditative breaths and closing my eyes for a couple of minutes usually helps... at least temporarily.