Friday, March 14, 2008

Greta's Party

The keyboard and I are still fighting (I guess that means we’re not friends any more) but I’m determined to write something other than a disjointed paragraph about being sick and feeling more miserable than I’ve felt since that horrible infection (mastitis) I had after Charlie was born. Now that was pain and misery...worse than childbirth, if you ask me!

I did not work on Friday and spent the entire day cleaning my house. At one point, sometime in the late morning or early afternoon, I felt like if I didn’t lie down, I would fall over. I slept hard for about 30 minutes and then got up again, feeling much better. My dear, sweet, OCD friend Samantha (I know she won’t kill me for the OCD comment...she’d be the first one to agree with me) came over and helped Jamie and me while we cleaned. She alternately watched the kiddos, or grabbed a corner of the house and went to town. I think she did more that day than Jamie and I combined – she’s a machine, I tell you! (I guess maybe it has something to do with her being a Smart Person...she’s currently pursuing her Master’s Degree in Microbiology. How did I get all the Smart People friends? Ahem...Cara?)

Oh...there I go getting sidetracked again. (Train of thought...derailed.)

Anyway – Jamie commented that night that it looked as if we’d gained 500 square feet because the place was actually clean. Granted, our bedroom gained a lot of stuff it didn’t used to have and is currently overflowing with stuff that needs to be gone through and thrown away...but...

So Saturday morning dawned cold and snowy. Yes, snowy. I worried quite a bit that our out-of-town family would not be able to make it – especially because they were coming from North and East. But with a few more hours of cleaning, an over-budget trip to the grocery store, some pretty balloons and one lovely Winnie-the-Pooh cake later, we had ourselves a nice little party.

There were about 20 people there, and the kids all played in (er...destroyed) Charlie’s room. Greta, thankfully, had had a big nap prior to everyone arriving and she was the best behaved, calmest, most interested and happy baby I’ve ever seen during a party. Especially when she was surrounded by all those dozens (almost) of people! She didn’t cry once! She was passed from hand to hand and made the rounds of getting hugs and kisses from everyone who loves her.

We all sang “Happy Birthday” to her, ate cake (which I think she thoroughly enjoyed) and opened presents. Greta got so many beautiful outfits, some great toys, and a few fun books. With respect to everyone who brought great presents for Greta, her absolute favorite toy – hands down – is her Soothe and Glow Seahorse from her Uncle John. This little guy has not been out of her sight since it came out of the box! (Thanks, Uncle John! You sure know how to pick ‘em!)

Thanks to everyone who came to celebrate with us and for all the wonderful gifts. I don’t know how one little girl can have so many wonderful friends. We love you all!


SIDE NOTE: This is totally off the subject, but I had to share this before I forget. I saw a man sweeping his lawn yesterday. Sweeping it. With a broom. Really. Is this a normal practice? Or, did I witness something truly odd?

1 comment:

Archeobot said...

Hey there,
Greta is gorgeous! She is going to be a looker when she gets older. Wow!
The flu was absolutely horrible; I so feel your pain. I wish I had gone to the doctor earlier for the Tamiflu. I tried to tough it out (no insurance), I ended up trying to find the cheapest clinic a week later when the secondary infection caught up with me. The only time I remember being so sick was in the Pearl St. house when I got that kidney infection and didn’t know it and had to call Clint in a panic to take me to the emergency room.

I was just talking to some friend about the obscene things witnessed with lawn maintenance from the bozo with a leaf blower in the rain to the lady observed vacuuming (yes, vacuuming) her front yard. Ah the bizarre and the absurd – how I live for it…