Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Sunny Days!

It was such a beautiful day yesterday that, even though I was tired enough to fall asleep the second I arrived home at 5PM, I suggested that we take the kids down to the park at the marina to play. Charlie brought his Kett Car and his helmet and rode for a while – trying to avoid the other people on the trail who were walking, riding, running etc. He’s great at steering, but not so great at going in a straight line! We had Greta’s stroller with us, so she and I walked a little way, stopping occasionally to point at and observe the ducks, fish, flowers, doggies, boats... It’s all so new and exciting! One lady walked by us, going the other way, and said sternly to me, “That child needs sunglasses or a hat!” As if it was any of her business. But honestly she was right – it was really sunny out and I didn’t plan ahead. Though, we weren’t in the sun for very long because the trail got shady pretty fast. Charlie quickly got tired of pedaling and Greta got restless sitting in the stroller, so we put the little car in the trunk of the Green Hornet (what we affectionately call the Taurus) and sent Charlie over to the playground equipment for a few minutes. He went up and down the big slide all by himself multiple times – and I didn’t freak out once, which is a huge accomplishment for this Worry-Wart. He was such a good boy about waiting his turn, and waiting until there was no one in the way at the bottom before starting down. There were a couple of older kids making a valiant attempt to ruin the sliding for all the younger kids by climbing up the slide and then squeaking down oh-so-slowly on the soles of their shoes. But Charlie waited patiently. He didn’t even complain when I told him, “OK Bud...just a couple more times and then we’ve got to get some dinner!” He slid down twice more and then came running over to me and said, “Mom! I need a hand!” This means that he wants me to hold his hand. During Charlie’s slide-time, Greta and Daddy were walking all over the place. She’s not quite walking yet, but she’s getting closer and closer every day. She’ll walk anywhere as long as someone holds her hand. She’ll stand in one place for a very long time, but as soon as she decides she needs to get anywhere, down she goes to all fours and crawls to her intended destination. (Intended destination is usually a favored doll or Daddy.) Anyway – we had a lovely night, and as long as I keep that in mind – I won’t dwell too much on the fact that I woke this morning feeling like dog you-know-what. Oh, the agony. TTFN JMS

No comments: