Tuesday, April 22, 2008

To Squeeze or Not to Squeeze...

There is a silent debate, nay, argument, happening at my house. It’s something I’ve run into before in my life, and first encountered in my next-door neighbor’s refrigerator many years ago when I was growing up in CT. OK, don’t laugh. Some theorize that if one squeezes a 2-liter soda bottle after one pours but before one puts the cap back on, the soda will stay fizzier once said bottle is resealed. I disagree. I say that the squeezed bottle gives the carbonation in the soda room to expand within the confines of the container and therefore allows the soda to go flat. What say you? TTFN JMS

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Is there anything BIGGER and BETTER to whine about?

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking I agree with you... It's not like a loaf of bread where you should get as much of the air out of the bag before you seal it up. I agree... you squeeze, you lose! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I agree totally. I had always been told to squeeze it. I rarely drink soda, but I just bought a bottle of Barqs and as I squeezed it, I realized I wasn't giving the soda extra pressure to keep it from fizzing, I was creating a vacuum effect that would HELP in drawing out the carbonation. It was like a vision that just appeared to me in a flash. I think I understand how prophets feel now...I'm going to do a bit more Googling, but I think you're right! : )