Friday, May 23, 2008

Family trip, minus Mom?

Hubby has mentioned, once or twice, his intent to take the kids to his mother’s house in VA for several days sometime in June or July. This prospect simultaneously excites, saddens, and worries me.

I’m excited because it is an opportunity for Hubby to spend time with his mother and also for the kids to spend some quality time with their Nani. GM lives in a tiny little town. There is a good park just around the corner, but as far as “things to do,” that about covers it. When I was up there with the kids just a couple of weeks ago, GM found a large, cardboard box, and Kiddo and Little Bit had a grand time playing in and around said box. If they both hadn’t been so difficult/sick while we were there, we might have had more fun...but as it was, the cardboard box, I think, was the highlight of the trip. Besides, of course, being able to see their Nani.

I’m also kind of excited because it will be an opportunity for me to get some work done around the house without the kids coming behind me and tearing everything up. Maybe after several days I can actually make some significant progress. And maybe get some real rest, too.

It saddens me because I’ll miss them terribly. I have a difficult time when I am not able to hug my kids whenever I want to. Both of my kids are great huggers. If I ask Kiddo to give me a big bear hug, he slings his arms around my neck, wraps his little legs around my middle and squeezes with all his 4-year-old might. If I say to Little Bit, “Give me a hug,” she puts her little arms around my neck, puts her sweet head down on my shoulder and kicks her legs in an, “I’m giving my Mommy a hug!” kind of way. This is not to mention that I will be sad not to see my husband every day.

And it worries me, because, what if something were to happen to them? What would I do? How would I continue to exist without my family? It’s not that I don’t think Hubby isn’t a safe driver or that he can handle the kids, because I know he can; he does it every day. But I worry about other drivers on the road and their stupidity. I also worry about the car. Will it be safe? Will it make the trip without breaking down and leaving my family stranded and vulnerable?

I hate being such a worry-wart...but I can’t help it.

Anyway...

Here are a couple pictures Hubby took yesterday of the kids playing at the park near our house. Apparently, Little Bit had a blast hanging out in the tunnel. Kiddo always has a good time at the park.



TTFN

JMS

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We really are long lost sisters. I was reading the story about Steven Curtis Chapman's daughter and I just kept thinking "what would I do?" I don't think I'd be able to function after something like that. It just breaks my heart to think what they're going through.... it really hits home when the child is the same age as your own. It's just horrible. I just pray that nothing tragic ever happens to my family while they're driving (that's one of my fears)... or just in general. And the worst fear is that I'm not there with them....It kinda keeps me awake at night sometimes. I wish I didn't worry so much, too. I always have though. It's just what I do. So I feel your pain, sister. :)