Thursday, July 24, 2008

VBS & Camping

VBS is my life right now - though tonight is the last night. It's been such a rewarding experience; one I never expected it to be. These kids have such a great time, and though chaos reigns supreme when everyone is playing or crafting or learning, it is so wonderful to see them having fun. Kiddo flatly refused to participate last night, so rather than argue with him about it, I gave up and asked the nursery folks if they'd mind if he joined them. Of course, they did not, and so he spent the 2.5 hours playing with Little Bit and their little friend CGM, who will be 3 this November. My group (The Red Group) spent the first 30 minutes in the gym playing another rousing game of Duck, Duck, Goose. Lots of running and screaming ensued - and no injuries this time. (The last time, one of the little girls slipped and got a pretty good carpet burn on her knee.) Then we headed down to the Fellowship Hall for crafts. We made hand-print tee-shirts and while I did help get everyone set up, my main job was to assist all the kids with washing off their paint covered hands. Lots of soap and water and scrubbing. I washed 18 pairs of hands! Last, we split into two groups. While half of the kids went out to the parking lot to meet a local police officer and learn about what he does and how the kids could help him (by listening to, and obeying their parents, and by praying for him every day), the other half stayed in one of the classrooms to meet Parker, a beautiful, sweet golden retriever who is part of HABIT (Human-Animal Bond in Tennessee). Then we switched, and the police group went to see Parker and Parker's group went to see the police officer! Then we all gathered back in the gym for more singing and dancing. Little Bit, as usual, bopped and wiggled to the music and had a grand time flirting with the little boys. (I think we're in for it when she eventually gets to dating age!) Hubby had shown up by this point (he had been working) and then we all went home. I think I will volunteer to help out next year. I didn't volunteer this year because I didn't think I'd have time, but since I got dragged into it (not really) this year, I've realized how rewarding it is and how much fun I've had. If I have had fun with it, I can only imagine that the kids have, too! I've got to give many Kudos to those folks (SE...this means you!) who planned VBS this year. I can't imagine what it took to get everything organized, but I'm sure it was quite a feat! Way to go! I'm sure you've got to be exhausted!
***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****
We're going camping this weekend. This will be both Kiddo & Little Bit's first time in a tent! Well, that is if you don't count Hubby & Kiddo's overnight in the tent in the back yard a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure what to expect, really. I think that Kiddo will probably have a great time, but I'm worried that Little Bit won't sleep. If she doesn't sleep, that means that the rest of us won't sleep, either. But I guess it doesn't really matter. Too bad we can't pack up a rocking chair, because then we'd be sure to get her asleep! TTFN JMS

1 comment:

Cara J. said...

Worst case, just drive her around till she passes out!