Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Nursery School, Pizza & Umbrellas

Today is Little Bit's first day of Nursery School! I can't believe it - our little baby is growing up so fast. No, it does not make me want to have another one, but my arms do sometimes ache (along with other parts of my body that shall remain nameless) to hold my little baby. Babies, if you include Kiddo. He was so tiny when he was born (4lbs 6.8 oz) and now he's 4 1/2 and the smartest thing on two legs. (Well, maybe not really, but I think he's a genius!) Hubby got a little emotional today when he dropped them off at school; I don't blame him, I would have, too. It's a perfectly normal and somewhat expected emotion to feel sad or nostalgic when you bring you kids to their first day of school! Last night, Hubby ordered pizza. Neither of us felt like cooking. Either that, or neither of us was inspired to cook anything with what we had in our fridge - you know, one of those "create-a-meal" things that your mother (well, my Mother-in-Law, anyway) could always throw together using a can of beans and a 2 year old box of cornbread! Suddenly there was a sumptuous meal in front of you. Neither Hubby nor I have that ability. Well, Hubby does more than I do - he's the cook in the family. I can cook when I have to, but I've been known to burn water. My meals always seem to turn out OK now, but there was a time... Ah, I guess that's a story for another post. So pizza arrives and I have Little Bit sitting on my lap. As Hubby turns to bring the pizza into the kitchen, Little Bit gasps, gives an excited squeal, and exclaims happily, "Pissa! Pissa, Daddy! Pissa!" Hubby and I both smiled and looked at her quizzically, because neither of us knew that she knew what pizza was, really, not to mention that she could say it...sort of. It was one of those moments when you realize that your child knows more than you give him or her credit for. Then, this morning Hubby (I'm relaying this second hand...I got it via a phone call from Hubby) and Kiddo were looking for the umbrella ('cause it's finally raining!) and they asked Little Bit if she knew where the umbrella was. She said, "Brella!" and went off looking. A couple minutes later Hubby said he heard a "CRASH!" and then a dragging sound and here comes Little Bit with the big golf umbrella (larger than she is) trailing along behind her. He tells her, "Oh! You found it!" and she says, "Brella! I found it!" Yup - my kids are smart cookies. Can't put anything past them. Would you call me a proud parent? TTFN JMS

1 comment:

Oneofeach said...

Can i just say that i got a little choked up on this??? so sweet, and yes, your kids are the smartest that you know....and mine are the smartest kids that i know.. he he