Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Home Improvement

Hubby & Kiddo surprised me last week with two new lantern-style lights for the front and side of our house. One for beside the front door and the other for beside the side door. They're very nice, slightly old-fashioned looking, with a lovely shape to them. They're nicer, and larger, than what was there; two small, white, square lights with broken glasses. Hubby installed them a couple of days later and they really, really look good. They make the house look more...well...more homey. Does that make sense? The problem was, after the one at the front door was installed, the old, brass mail box seemed very out of place. It looked old and rusty. We considered replacing it with something that more closely matched the style of the lights he'd installed, but he quickly suggested a much more efficient, and inexpensive alternative; one which I was all for, right from the very beginning. He suggested that I paint the mail box we have. I knew that I would have to sand and clean the surface of the mailbox before painting it, and I started using my generic Dremel tool and a rotating sander. It took FOREVER to scuff up just a small portion of the mailbox. So after a trip to Home Depot to purchase a palm sander and some sandpaper, I finished up the sanding portion of the project in no time flat. I love power tools. Anyway - after a perfect spray painting job (if I do say so myself) the mailbox looks brand new and sits comfortably in its spot underneath the new light at the front door. It no longer looks out of place and is in perfect sync with the rest of the house. Now the only thing that bugs me are the shiny brass house numbers; I'm still debating on whether I should paint them, too. I've got enough paint left over... Hope everyone had a great long weekend! TTFN JMS

No comments: