Monday, October 13, 2008

Pretty typical weekend...and sick babies

Ah, the weekend. A time when one gets to wind down from, and then prepare again for, the work week. Two days is never long enough. There are kids to entertain and feed and clean and change and generally keep happy and healthy, laundry to do (my never-ending cycle...once it's done, I just have to start all over again), food to acquire, fix and serve, and projects to work on. We're just going to assume that the laundry was in progress all frikkin' weekend, OK? Then I don't have to mention it again...although I probably will, knowing me. Saturday, Kiddo, Little Bit and I went to IHOP for breakfast. Kiddo suggested we go there, so we went. (I'm a sucker for kids who want eggs and pancakes, what can I say?) The experience was actually decent! There was no screaming or arguing and both kids ate very well. The only mishap occurred when Little Bit purposefully dribbled orange juice down the front of her shirt, looked at me and said, "Mess!" Of course, there wasn't much I could do at that point except whip out the baby wipes and make a half-hearted attempt at cleaning her up. She really didn't think much of it and seemed satisfied with my work so she continued stabbing at her eggs with her spoon. She's getting much better at feeding herself. That hand-eye coordination thing is starting to come... Then we went over to Babies-R-Us to look for some Boudreaux's Butt Paste for a "diaper cake" I was working on...but...if you can believe it...they were completely out! I never thought Babies-R-Us would be out of Butt Paste! I could have gotten something else, because they had many other brands to choose from, but the person for whom I made the "cake" specifically wanted the Butt who am I to try to change her mind. Not only that, but we use it, too, and it is the best stuff. Then we headed back home. On the way, we called Hubby to find out if he was done working for the morning. He was, and he said he was going to head over to Downtown Hardware to partake of the hot dogs they were serving in celebration of their 53rd anniversary in business. We met him there and hung out for about 30 minutes while he checked on the status of his broken lawn mower, got a couple of keys made, and had a hot dog. Then I took the kids home and they both went down for a nap. They both actually slept, too, which gave me some quiet time to work on my weekend project - the "Diaper Cake." The Diaper Cake was a lot of work, but well worth it. I'm very pleased with the way it came out. I won't post a picture of it here, just in case the person for whom it's meant happens to look at my blog. I don't want to ruin all of the surprise! But if you don't know what a Diaper Cake is, CLICK HERE for edification purposes. It was a lot of fun. I don't really remember what we did on Saturday evening. I know that Hubby and I watched You Don't Mess With The Zohan after the kids went to bed. Interesting movie. Almost funny. Slightly embarrassing in parts. But it was Adam Sandler so I couldn't resist. Sunday was an early day because I had to teach Sunday School and I hadn't prepared and I didn't know where my leader's guide was. This brought me to the church at 9AM to locate my leader's guide, plan the lesson, make the necessary copies and preparations, and be ready for Sunday School by 10AM. Somehow, I managed. The kids were as unruly as ever, and no one really wanted to pay attention to the lesson I slaved over for an hour. I couldn't exactly yell at them, but neither did I just let them do whatever they wanted. It was a tall order to keep them all under control - and there were 9 of them all between the ages of 5 & 7. Then church from 11-12:15. Our pastor announced that he's having bypass surgery on Thursday, 10/16 (my birthday). He'll be out until sometime in November or until his wife determines that he's well enough to come back...whichever comes first. Please keep him in your prayers for us - we're all very worried about him. He also mentioned Chinese food, so of course I had to have Chinese food after church. I took Little Bit home, who was supremely unhappy because she was tired and, I believe, beginning to not feel well. She went down for a long nap and I did laundry. (I said I was probably going to mention it again, didn't I?) Hubby and Kiddo ran errands so they didn't get home until shortly after LB woke up from her nap. Then the serious cleaning began. I really don't know what Hubby did in the kitchen, but he was busy for hours cleaning, scrubbing and organizing. While he was doing that, I folded and washed and picked up and cleaned. It was a productive afternoon. We had tacos for dinner (do you really care?) and then had just a regular, quiet evening. LB threw up around 1AM and cried pitifully. I came and got her, cleaned her up as best I could without actually dumping her in the bathtub, changed her sheets, got her some water, and put her back in bed. She fussed for a few minutes, but was otherwise quiet and slept the rest of the night. Hubby says she's doing fine this morning - but I worry. Is she getting sick? Is her little system rebelling because she had unusual foods on Sunday? Remember, she ate both Chinese food and Tacos. She's so used to our standard fare of chicken, pork & fish, along with beans, corn or carrots, some fruit, and a few other relatively bland foods...I'm pretty sure she just had trouble digesting all the strange things she'd eaten that day. Anyway - now that you've had a rundown of our ENTIRE weekend, I'll quit. If I keep going, I'm sure I'm going to lose you all...if I haven't already. Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! TTFN JMS

No comments: