Monday, October 27, 2008

Winnie-The-Pooh and The Secret Life of Bees

I've been overruled. Yes - the all-important decision of "what is Little Bit going to be for Halloween" has been taken, firmly and swiftly, out of my hands. I borrowed an adorable pumpkin costume from my friend "FuzzFix" and was all ready to get Little Bit excited to wear it. Last weekend, however, my sister-in-law gave me several costumes her now 16 year old son wore when he was Little Bit's age and then some. Included among these wonderful costumes was a Winnie-The-Pooh outfit. I put it on her yesterday so she could play in it for a while. She looked so darn cute that the pumpkin went right out of my head. Out of Hubby's head, too. In fact, his comment to me was, "I like Pooh better than the pumpkin!" And damn if he wasn't right. Little Bit will be too big to wear Pooh next year, so she is now going to be Winnie-The-Pooh for Halloween this year. She will still be able to wear the pumpkin costume next year, so I'll return it to "FuzzFix" and borrow it again another time. Little Bit was so cute running around with big, yellow ears and a red t-shirt. I can't wait to get pictures of her to post here. Good thing Trunk-or-Treat at church is this Wednesday because I'm not sure I can wait until Friday. On another note, I saw "The Secret Life of Bees" last night with my friend DS. Honestly, I have to admit that I'm surprised I enjoyed the movie. I read the book and enjoyed it quite a lot, and I think that, apart from a few things, the movie stayed pretty true to the book. That was unexpected. Also, they've got Queen Latifah playing one of the main characters, and though she did a great job, they should have found someone older to play her part. Either that or they should have aged her a bit. Also, her sisters should have been older, too. In the book, you get the impression that the sisters are in their late fifties or early sixties - in the movie, they're maybe in their late thirties, early forties. It doesn't fit. Dakota Fanning, of course, did a fantastic job - as she always does. She's got darker hair in this movie, and is quite a bit taller and thinner than I've seen her before - but that's because she's growing up. I guess you can't be an adorable blond prodigy your entire life, right? I kind of think of her as the Shirley Temple of the times. Does that make sense? I guess that's all I've got right now. I'm sure I could find many, many more things to write about, but I'm done. I need to go seek out caffeine somewhere... TTFN JMS

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Hey lady! You will be happy to know the monkey costume is being put to good use. Malachi is going to wear it this year!