Friday, October 24, 2008

I'm sentimental today

My friend G, at work, lost a very good friend to Melanoma last night. She chatted with me about her friend "Hal" for a while this morning, telling me about what a wonderful person she was and how she just couldn't believe that she was gone. The reality of her death has not set in yet. Can I just say, here and now, that I know exactly how that feels? G is probably talking to one of the few people she knows that can truly understand and sympathize with how she's feeling right now. Granted, I have not lost a friend to Cancer, but I have lost beloved family members to the horrible disease. I know what it means to fight it, tooth and nail, every day. I've seen it. G posted a quote on her blog that I thought I would share - mainly because it speaks to me in so many ways.
People do not die for us immediately, but remain bathed in a sort of aura of life which bears no relation to true immortality but through which they continue to occupy our thoughts in the same way as when they were alive. It is as though they were traveling abroad. ~Marcel Proust
Here's to you, G. May you always remember "Hal" fondly - as she was when she was healthy and happy and sporting the most beautiful smile on the planet. TTFN JMS

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you.