Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Little Bit O' Sweetness

Little Bit did not, under any circumstances, want to go to bed last night.  Kiddo, on the other hand, fell asleep before he could complain about having to go to bed while it was still light outside.  I watched his eyelids droop and shut - and then he was out.  My sweet little boy.
 
Hmmm...
 
...That makes me think of a Robert Louis Stevenson poem:
 
Bed in Summer
 
In Winter I get up at night
and dress by yellow candle light.
In Summer quite the other way,
I have to go to bed by day.
 
I have to go to bed and see
The birds still hopping on the tree,
Or hear the grown-up people's feet
Still going past me on the street.
 
And does it not seem hard to you,
When all the sky is clear and blue,
And I should like so much to play,
To have to go to bed by day?
 
Ok - so I got a little side-tracked there, but I couldn't help myself!  And, to distract from my original point even further, this poem reminds me of my Grandmother, Tennie.  So many things remind me of her.
 
Anyway - getting back on track, Kiddo fell asleep with no issues, but Little Bit was having none of it.  I'd rock her, she'd fall asleep, I'd stick her in bed and within seconds she'd be opening the door, peeking out at me with her silly grin.
 
This process happened three or four times.
 
Then, the last time she opened the door, she came out into the hallway and plopped herself down on the floor with a Franklin book and sat there quietly "reading" to herself.  It was almost like she knew she was supposed to be in bed and quiet, but because she didn't want to be in bed, being quiet in the hallway was just as good to her.  Hubby and I let her sit there for about fifteen minutes, but then I went and scooped her up and carried her to my bed where she and I lay there, snuggled together, until she fell asleep about 30 minutes later - Franklin book resting softly on her chest.
 
The great thing about all this wasn't the fact that she didn't want to go to sleep, or that she sat quietly "reading" to herself in the hallway or even that she was peering sweetly out of her door at us when she got up each time.  It was when we were in bed snuggling and she'd turn her sleepy face to me with a silly grin and say, "You're my best friend, Mommy."  Or she'd place her little warm hand on my cheek and lean over to give me a kiss.  Or she'd raise herself up to put her head on my chest and give me a hug.  She's the sweetest little thing; when she's got a mind to be, that is.  Otherwise, she's currently a 2-year-old terror!  But I cannot imagine her being any other way.
 
She fell asleep with her little hand in mine, her back to my chest, my arm around hers and my other arm under her head.  It was the best 2 hours of sleep I've gotten in a long time.  Around 10PM I woke up and carried her back to her own room and she stayed there, quiet, the rest of the night.
 
Ah...as stressful as Motherhood can be sometimes, these are the moments I live for.
 
TTFN
JMS

1 comment:

yourlonglostsister said...

It makes all the screaming, cussing and yelling worth it, doesn't it? :)