Wednesday, November 25, 2009

I'm thankful for...

This is the time of year when folks actually take the time to count their blessings; actively think about the things they are thankful for. This is a time for family togetherness and good feelings and good friends and good food. Tomorrow, almost everyone in the country will participate in "The Great Feast" - then most likely everyone will take a long nap after gorging themselves on turkey (why oh why do I always want to put an "H" in the word Turkey? Thurkey? What is that? Moving on...) and stuffing (or dressing, as it's called here in the South) and cranberry sauce and mashed potatoes and sweet potato casserole and on and on and on. Oh, I'm drooling already just thinking of it! This year, we have been invited to spend Thanksgiving with friends here in town and I'm SO excited I can hardly stand it. She said to me, "We're thankful for our friends..." when we were talking about heading that way for roast bird. It nearly made me cry then and it is threatening to make me cry now. Why did we not make the trip "North" to visit Hubby's family for the annual multi-generational gathering to celebrate the Day of Thanks? Because I only have one day off and it is just not enough time for an up and back trip in one day. I'm disappointed, but then again, we're having our Annual Family Christmas on December 19th - so we'll get to see them soon. Anyway - I do have a point, and it is this... I am thankful for:
  • my son, who is so smart and incredible and sweet and...and...well, just wonderful. I adore him so much I cannot even put it into words. He's reading, and doing so well he barely needs help, except when he decides he's just not into it and would rather you just read for him. He draws awesome pictures and when he colors, he is meticulous about staying in the lines. He doesn't pick up his room or put away his clothes or rarely does he actually listen to what we tell him - but right now, I don't care. He's my buddy, my friend, and my love.
  • my daughter, who is also super smart, but mostly right now she's just a princess. A diva. A beautiful little blonde-haired, blue-eyed sweetie who gives butterfly kisses, Eskimo kisses and sloppy wet kisses and hugs that could break your heart with the amount of love she puts into them. Who says, "Ok, I'll get up - after I'm done sleeping." At 2 1/2 years old....she's a woman after my own heart. Who wants her soft blankie just-so, and her fluffy blanket tucked all around her, and her Dora comforter up to her neck. Oh, and I cannot forget to kiss bunny and Curly Shirley - the comfort toys she cannot sleep without. I so adore every little thing about her - even with the attitude!
  • my husband, who is always there. I feel like I should say more - but I don't think it's necessary. He's there. He's not out somewhere else doing God only knows what, but he's home, with me. He's my love, my life, my friend and my future.
  • my job. Though it may be the most difficult job I've had to-date, I'm thankful for it.
  • friends who think enough of us to ask us over for dinner again and again, though we, ourselves, rarely entertain.
  • the ability to be creative enough to make Christmas presents this year and have some guarantee that they'll be well received rather than dumped in a drawer to collect dust when I'm not looking.

What are you thankful for this year?

TTFN JMS

1 comment:

tennswede said...

Jen,

I'm thankful to have gotten to know you. We don't have anything in common, but from that first day we met. When you talked to me after I had my interview at my current job, I felt that I like this person. We shared many conversations for over three years and I still miss those days. Btw, I'm going to Swedend for Christmas, I can't wait.

Have a good holiday,

Hans