Monday, March 07, 2011

Prince Medley, Kiddo Update, Diagnosis

The most random assortment of things are going through my head right now - the most prominent of them is a 1980's Prince song medley. I'm really not sure where it came from, but it's there and it's actually making me bounce a little in my chair! I have a Dove Chocolate wrapper stuck with a pink magnet to the overhead cabinet of my desk at work that says, "Dance to music, even if it is only in your head." That seems to be a common occurrence with me. I have music with me always, but I'm usually the only one who can hear it, and I'm not listening to my iPod! **** Kiddo seems to be feeling better. He got antibiotics (FINALLY) on Friday and within 24 hours his fever was gone. KAPUT! Thank goodness. By Sunday afternoon he was his usually sweet, goofy self again...and then some. Then last night he had some pretty strong ear pain; it made him cry. So...my official I'm-not-a-doctor-but-I-play-one-on-TV (or, I'm-a-mom-so-don't-tell-me-there's-nothing-wrong-with-my-child) diagnosis is that he had an ear infection. He had a couple days of antibiotics and POP! Whatever was going on in his ear finally "broke" and that's what caused him pain. He was fine again within 2 or 3 hours, but he had a rough night. He did go to school today and his teacher emailed me to say he was having a great day. This is good news, because he was out all last week. **** Speaking of doctors and health issues, there is a health thing my doctor and I are investigating. The short version is that she believes I have Hashimoto's Disease. The longer version is that this is the result of testing done over the last couple of years and I haven't actually gotten the chance to talk to her about this diagnosis yet. The "diagnosis" came to me in an off-hand sentence in a recent letter from her regarding my blood work. So while it's news to me, it's not really surprising. I have done some research and have almost all the symptoms as well as an abnormally-shaped thyroid with nodules that they're keeping an eye on. NO CANCER!!! OK? Really. (OH, and btw, my recent mammogram was completely clear! Yay! So those of you who know my family history should be relieved to hear that.) So while we're still in the early stages of discovery, it seems that we're on the right track and this "disease" can be treated with medication. I'll keep you all posted! TTFN JMS

No comments: