Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Thor's party in the sky kept me awake all night (but I didn't call the cops)

Last night, we had major storm warnings and watches all over this area.  Normally I don't worry too much about storms.  They don't scare me.  In fact, I kind of like them.  (Except those thunder BOOMS that wake you out of a dead sleep as if Thor had smashed the house with Mjölnir.)  But, I am going to admit, here and now, that I let the warnings get to me. 

I couldn't settle.  I tried reading (which is a nightly routine that helps me fall asleep, just as hubby's is to find an old black & white documentary) but that didn't work; I couldn't concentrate on what I was reading and kept being interrupted by the lightning and thunder.  (I'm telling you, Thor was in a tizzy about something last night.)  I got up to get something to drink (grapefruit juice and ginger ale, yum), I stood looking out the kitchen window for a while and watched the activity in the sky, I checked on the kids multiple times, I gathered stuff for the utility room just in case we had to take shelter, I found a pitiful candle and a lighter, I found a flashlight...

I finally crawled back into bed (it's now about 1AM and waaay past my bedtime) and turned on the radio to the talk station I like, knowing they'd have emergency weather-related break-ins to regular programming, and I lay there and listened.  I listened to the sounds of the guys on the radio, if not really what they were talking about (it was just noise) but what I really listening for is the emergency broadcast system beeps - we all know what they sound like.  And all the ones I heard had the storms just to the south of us.  So all the storm activity I was seeing and hearing was, apparently, pitiful when compared to what the counties to the south of mine were seeing. 

I don't know, exactly, what time I drifted off, but it was probably close to 2:30 am.  Needless to say, I am tired today.  I know that there are going to be a lot of other really tired people around today, too, so I need to be sensitive to that and not selfishly hanging on to my own exhaustion.  There will be no time to nap, though.  I have a 4:30 pm meeting at the church tonight, and another one at 6:00 pm; I'll be there until 7:30 or 8:00 tonight.  And then, as if that's not enough, we're expected to get another round of heavy storms tonight; so more not sleeping.

TTFN
JMS

No comments: