Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Broken Windows and Creative Wordsmithing

Things have not been so awesome the last couple of days.  Details omitted to protect the innocent.  And frankly, I really don’t want to talk about it anyway.

Remember that post I wrote a few days ago about just waiting on the sky to fall or the other shoe to drop?  That one.  Remember?  Well let’s elaborate on that, shall we?

Aside from just a lot of stress at home and (as usual) too much stuff going on, today I decided to go through a drive-thru for breakfast.  Something I very rarely do, but I was hungry today.  I’ve always had trouble with the manual crank on the driver’s window.  Yes, I said manual – there is no auto-anything on my car, except that it is, in fact, and automobile.  Anyway – Hubby has recently fixed said window and until this morning, things were working better than usual.  But trying to roll down the window at the drive-thru was nearly impossible.  I thought maybe the mechanism was just stiff from being so cold, but no.  Upon exiting the drive-thru with my food I pulled over to the side of the parking lot to arrange things – like I usually do – and tried to roll up the window.  I’d barely touched it when it went *POP* and then *SHUNK* and before I could blink the whole window was inside the door – un-roll-up-able.  (I made that word up.  Deal with it.)

So now, since I’ve wasted time by going through a drive-thru, I have no time to go home and switch vehicles.  I call Hubby, tell him the thing is broken, and continue on to work – with the window all the way open in 20-something degree weather.  It was FRIKKIN’ COLD!  It took me all morning to warm up and my little space heater was working overtime.  Not a good day for the thermostat in the office to hover at 68° for most of the morning.

It was warmer driving home.  Plus, I had the added benefit of having grabbed my large, black, hooded, zippy-uppy (hush, you Grammar Nazi!) sweatshirt from the office so I had that on under my jacket.

And now Hubby tells me that it will take a couple weeks for the part to come in.  I don’t remember what it’s called.  Some car part that just the mention of will set my eyes twitching and my teeth on edge.  Now, get me talking about coffee or cats or kids (too bad kids didn’t start with a “C” or that could have been a fine example of alliteration) and I’m totally good.

This should be a fun couple of weeks.  I would really appreciate the assurance that nothing else is going to happen?  You can do that, right?

TTFN
JMS

No comments: