Friday, October 23, 2015

SERIES: Jen's Library (#5)


ROBERT FULGHUM'S ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW I LEARNED IN KINDERGARTEN (UNCOMMON THOUGHTS ON COMMON THINGS) 

The original 1988 publication, if you please.  Subsequent publications changed out some stories and replaced them with others and a few of my favorites were gone, or subtly altered.  I guess I’m a purist.  This book is a compilation of short stories and yes, they’re uncommon; uncommonly good (sorry, Keebler Elves).  A few of my favorites include a story about raccoons mating under the author’s house at 3AM; how old was I when I first read this book?  One about a boy playing hide and seek with his friends and how sometimes one can hide too well, eventually prompting the author, watching the neighborhood game from his window, to holler, “GET FOUND, KID!”.  Another story talks about killing the spirit of things (and people) by yelling at them and tells of the Solomon Islander’s tree felling practice.  One about boxes of crayons with the pencil sharpener built in and beauty bombs.  One about doing the laundry (a personal favorite).  One about running into a spider web.  I absolutely adore this book and believe everyone should have a copy of it.  To this day, I find my everyday life sometimes brings to mind this book and the stories within.  It’s very relatable.

TTFN
JMS

No comments: