Tuesday, January 05, 2016

Dwarfs, Coffee and Chocolate


So, you know the Seven Dwarfs, right?  Happy, Sleepy, Grumpy, Dopey, Sneezy, Bashful and Doc…?  Well, a very good friend and I have decided that there must be others; long lost dwarf cousins, if you will.

Some days I wake up and am at least two of the seven original dwarfs.  Typically Sleepy and Grumpy, or maybe Dopey and Grumpy.  Other mornings, adding allergies, I am also Sneezy.  I’m rarely Bashful; I’m only Doc when I’m tending to boo-boos; Happy is a relative term on which I have had the occasional occasion to be.

Anyway, it stands to reason that Happy, Sleepy, Grumpy, Dopey, Sneezy, Bashful and Doc were not the only dwarfs in the world.  Maybe the only ones in that region, though.  It further stands to reason that as humans we all have innumerable feelings, thoughts and yes, even personalities.  (I’m not talking about split personalities or other such disorders.  Just that sometimes we put on one face for our families, another face for our co-workers, and yet another for our friends or our church folks or our school mates.  We are rarely just...ourselves; the societal pressure is too high.  That, however, is another post for another time.)  So why couldn’t we, therefore, relate ourselves to the dwarfs?  

More than that, the original seven could not possibly cover everything we could be, so my friend and I invented the dwarf cousins: Drippy, Gassy, Ouchy, Messy, Pissy, Sweetness and Light, along with Bitchy, Twitchy, Crabby, Crampy, Prissy, Missy and Wino.  (You may, or may not, need to use your imagination.)  We think this pretty much covers all the bases.

So, in my case, this terribly tangential analogy boils down to this:  If I’m Grumpy, give me coffee; it usually helps.  Either that, or just leave me alone for a while and let me recharge.  If I’m Sleepy, give me coffee.  Or, at the very least, point me toward a bed and force me to take a nap.  Naps are good.  Why don't we have daily nap times anymore?  If I’m Sneezy, give me coffee as the warm liquid always makes me feel better; maybe also an allergy pill...but then Sleepy will be along shortly.  If I’m Dopey, coffee will give me focus.   

Essentially, if you notice that I’m any of the original Dwarfs, just ply me with coffee and I’ll come around pretty soon.  That, or chocolate.  Chocolate is always good, too.  If I'm one of the cousins, well...I'm not sure there's a cure for any of them.

TTFN
JMS

No comments: