Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Cars, Kids & Confidants (Originally posted February 20, 2007)

TRANSFERRED FROM LIVEJOURNAL So...something significant (in my mind, anyway) happened on the way to work this morning. My 1993 Toyota Corolla’s odometer flipped to 200,000 miles! I’m not sure what I think about this. Now we have 2 vehicles with over 200,000 miles on them; mine, & Hubby’s 1990 Volvo 240 Wagon. Does that mean we’ll HAVE to get newer cars soon? Or, I wonder, will we be able to nurse them along for a bit...? I guess it’s not really that big of a deal. I mean, there are cars going to 300,000 miles (or more) these days; but those are usually owned by people with the financial means to keep them going. My fear is that one day, one of us will be driving along with both kids in the car, and the car will just decide, “Ok...I’ve had enough!” and quit working then and there. I have nightmares of being stranded somewhere because of vehicle failure – and I don’t have a cell phone. I guess that’s kind of a crazy thing to be worried about, huh? It’s not like I need one more thing to make my already weary brain even wearier. Anyway – yesterday was a tough day for me. I was very emotional all day. Frankly, I still am, except I don’t feel a fragile as I did. One thing that helped me, even though I know I overdid it again, was I cleaned Kiddo’s room. It’s now picked up & organized and looks great! Our friend DW gave us her son’s old Scooby-Doo comforter, which I put on Kiddo’s bed last night. I think he’s thrilled with it. (He also slept all night and didn’t get up once!) The only thing I still have to do in his room is Swiffer the floor, vacuum the corners, and dust the surfaces – which shouldn’t be too terribly difficult since Kiddo LOVES to Swiffer and will gladly help out, and the vacuum has a long extension on the hose! I feel much better now that Kiddo’s space is clutter-free and organized. I think part of the reason he’s been so restless at night is because of the mess he's been living in. I fully believe that the more cluttered and disorganized your environment is, the more cluttered and disorganized you feel. So it doesn’t really surprise me that he slept soundly through the entire night. Well...I guess I’m done for now. I’d like to say a big THANK YOU to GM for her e-mail. It’s funny how close people can become even when they haven’t known each other for too long. She’s quickly becoming a large part of my emotional support system – and I needed her words so desperately. I’d also like to thank my one. My sweet, caring friend who, yesterday, spent time listening to me as I sobbed and then took me out for lunch! My friend who knows all – AKP. TTFN JMS

No comments: