Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Current Events, etc... (Originally posted February 27, 2007)

TRANSFERRED FROM LIVEJOURNAL I thought about writing about Anna Nicole Smith and how sick I am of hearing about her, and where she’s going to be buried, and who’s going to get custody of her sweet, beautiful little 5-month old daughter, and who is the “baby daddy”, and what about the $900,000 estate that she supposedly owned in the Bahamas? It’s all too much and I’d love to tear my hair out if I hear her name one more time. I actually feel sorry for her; for the crazy, tragic life she led and for the loss of her son. But I feel more sorry for the little baby girl she left behind when she died; what a “legacy” that little girl will have to live down (or up to, depending on how one looks at the situation). I considered writing about the “flack” we’ve gotten from people over the names we’ve chosen for the new baby and how comments like, “Hmmm...that’s an interesting (or unusual) name” actually hurt. It’s not as if we haven’t given this baby’s name a lot of thought; maybe the people making the comments think we just reached into a bag and chose the first name that our fingers closed upon. We have thought long and hard about what to name him or her, and even considered how our child will be treated as he or she goes through life with the name we’ve chosen. We’ve even considered the initials of the name, to make sure they don’t spell anything that could be made fun of. Kids are mean, but adults are sometimes thoughtless, which can be just as hurtful. Our chosen names are not interesting or unusual; they’re strong, old-fashioned names that work as well in today’s society as they did back in the 1800’s. Plus, Hubby and I really love the names we’ve chosen (they mean something to us), and that’s really all that matters anyway. Then I thought, “Well, maybe I’ll write about my eBay experiences with non-payers” and how it’s just a huge hassle. But honestly, that could take up about 15 pages and I’m sure that no one wants to read about that, anyway. So maybe I’ll just write a bit about Kiddo (my favorite subject) and Little Bit (my next favorite subject)... This morning, when I took Kiddo over to his sitter’s house, I asked her if she’d be OK with us calling her “when the time comes” to look after Kiddo for a night or two. I think she was thrilled with our asking and said that it would be just like a big sleep over and that her two boys (10 & 13) would love it! She said to call her and she’d meet us anywhere “when the time comes”. If “the time comes” in the middle of the night, however, we’re going to call S&CS – our next door neighbors. It will be quite convenient and I think we might get killed if we didn’t call them. For goodness sake, they’re considering canceling a trip to W. VA to visit their daughter just to be around “when the time comes”! Did I mention that I feel much better knowing that the baby’s bassinet is set up!? I don’t know why that one thing made such a difference in my panic level, but it did. Now if I could just finish packing my hospital bag and Kiddo’s overnight bag – I’d feel almost completely ready! I gave up worrying about the mess that our house is, mostly because it isn’t as bad as I think it is (well...yes, it is...who am I kidding) but no one will care, and I shouldn’t either. It’s just one more thing to worry about. Hubby has been incredible in his efforts to get things ready and has spent a significant amount of time on our bedroom, getting it cleaned and organized. It’s not quite complete yet, but you can see the bed and you can see the floor and that’s made a huge difference! He’s also cleaned the bathroom, continued waging battle on the laundry, and kept the kitchen in order – all this on top of watching Kiddo most of the week and working at night and on Saturdays! He’s definitely a force to be reckoned with. One other thing I’d like to say (and on a personal note that most ladies will understand and most guys will just groan about) – I would give just about anything to shave my legs right about now! And on that note... TTFN JMS

No comments: