Thursday, February 22, 2007

Mostly Medical Stuff... (Originally posted February 22, 2007)

TRANSFERRED FROM LIVEJOURNAL I have nothing new to report as far as the progress of the pregnancy is concerned. They weighed me, made me pee in a cup, took my blood pressure, measured my stomach, and listened to the baby’s heartbeat. The doctor told me not to go into labor this weekend. Yeah, like I have any control over that? But his reasoning was the “the other group” was on call this weekend and he would hate for me not to have a doctor I knew at the delivery. Makes sense, I suppose. I was also informed that I tested positive for Group B Strep bacteria. It can be nasty, but in very rare cases. For more information, this article is a good one: http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/pregnancy/prenatalhealth/1647.html. I’m not concerned and the doctor isn’t either – so even though it is potentially one more thing to worry about, I’m not going to. I also started “packing my bag” this morning. I just know that if I continue to not have it ready, I won’t have it when I need it. Got any suggestions as to what I should bring with me? The baby’s bag is already packed and the car seats are in the cars. Kiddo’s overnight bag needs to be packed so he can have what he needs wherever he winds up. Where he goes will depend on what time of day (or night) it is when I go into labor. I want to bring the bassinet up and get it prepared, bring up the little dresser/changing table and get it stocked, and make sure all the blankets, towels, burp cloths, and clothes are washed and ready. I’m most definitely nesting – but I can just see this stuff not getting done. In other news, last night, I had a little bit of a scare. I was sitting on Kiddo’s bed and he was in my lap with his head on my shoulder. He asked me very sweetly, “Mommy, can you roll me up like a burrito?” (Something Hubby does with him where he gets rolled up in “Grandpa’s Blanket” so just his head is sticking out – I guess it’s a comfort thing.) I started to laugh at the request (because I’d never heard it verbalized) when I got this very sharp, white-hot pain that started in the middle of my back on the right side and radiated around my chest to my sternum. It was paralyzing and I was scared. I couldn’t move to put Kiddo down and called for Hubby who came running. Hubby got Kiddo out of my arms and asked me what was wrong. I explained, and he immediately started in with his miracle hands on determining the source of the pain and working it out. It went away in about a minute or two, but it felt like an eternity. I still have a residual “feeling” in my back and chest this morning and don’t know if it is in my head or if I’m just being overly-cautious about how I move. Poor Kiddo, though. I think seeing me in pain scared the daylights out of him. He sat on the bed, right in front of me, and kept asking, “Mommy, what’s the matter?”, “Mommy, are you OK?”, “Mommy, can I rub your arm?”, “Mommy, why does your back hurt?” My sweet, sweet little guy. When Hubby was finished with me, Kiddo wanted to take over – so I let him rub my back for a few minutes. The back rub was very sweet because it was interspersed with little kisses and words of “There, I kissed your boo boo.” Anyway – I was OK, but most definitely uncomfortable all night. Kiddo slept well and was difficult to get going this morning. Hubby had a rough night due to some stomach ailment we can’t put a finger on – but he’s OK, too. "I don't know what's around that bend, but when I do, I'll be sure to let you know. And that's all the news from Lake Wobegon, a little town where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average." - Garrison Keillor TTFN JMS

No comments: