Friday, January 18, 2008

16th Century England

I have been living in Tudor England for the last two months and it's been a fantastic vacation! It makes me almost wish there was such a thing as a time machine so I could physically travel back to the 16th century for a day or two - if for no other reason than to wear the fancy clothes and hang out in castle presence chambers rubbing elbows with nobility and hoping to catch a glimpse of the king and queen. I've read about King Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn (The Other Boleyn Girl), and Katherine of Aragon (The Constant Princess), and Catherine Parr (The Last Wife of Henry VIII), and Lady Jane Gray (Innocent Traitor), specifically; not to mention all the other secondary characters and historical figures that helped flesh out these fantastic novels. Philippa Gregory has become a favorite author, though Allison Weir (who wrote Innocent Traitor) has the ability to make you feel everything her characters are feeling...which makes it tough for me to decide which author I like better. I am getting ready to dive into The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory, which is said to be the continuing saga of women of the court during King Henry VIII's reign, including Anne of Cleves (Henry's 4th wife), Katherine Howard (Henry's 5th wife) and Jane Rochford (sister-in-law of Anne Boleyn - she's married to Anne's brother - and the one who gave testimony against Anne during her trial). This one should be just as interesting and I can't wait to get started. It's almost too bad that I have to work today. TTFN JMS

No comments: