Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Grumble Grumble

Ok - the thing I was alluding to yesterday that had me so fired up I could hardly keep my mouth shut about it is still bugging me. Without naming any names (and hoping sincerely that no one figures out what I am really talking about for fear of hurting feelings or giving offense) I'll attempt to get this load off my chest. I have been given a task to do. I have been told that it is my task to plan and to take the ball and run with it. I have accepted the challenge with my whole heart and launched into preliminary planning. Now the person who gave me this task is wondering why I'm doing the things I'm doing and wouldn't it be better to do it another way? Wait a minute? I thought this was my task. Mine to plan. You said you didn't care what I did as long as it got done, right? In fact, your words were (and I'm paraphrasing in an attempt to avoid stepping on any toes), "It's your choice. Just talk with others to see what they're doing for theirs to make sure we're not duplicating efforts. Otherwise, it's all yours!" If you had ideas of how this should be done, you should either have voiced them to begin with or kept this task for yourself because then you could oversee it to your hearts content. It's mine now. I'll make sure I'm not duplicating any efforts - just as I always do - but your micromanaging this task is not going to make my job easier and, in fact, it will frustrate me quite severely and I might have to say something I'll regret later. Not only that, but this person treats me with obvious disdain and speaks to me as if I were a servant; and this is done when surrounded by other people. That, if nothing else, makes me feel terrible. There...I've said it. That didn't really help. I don't feel better. I don't really have anyone to vent to about this. It won't really mean anything to Jamie, so he probably won't care all that much and I wouldn't want to burden him with it. It's just really irritating when someone says, "You handle it, it's all yours....but do it this way." TTFN JMS

No comments: