Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Cuadros del festival

Oh, when will it ever end?

Golly. I feel like all I ever do anymore is complain. Do I not have anything positive to say? Do I not have anything good to relay?

When I was waiting in car with the kids in the parking lot in front of Downtown Hardware this past weekend, Kiddo kept talking about all his boo boos and other "not good" things. The subject matter ranged from a bleeding finger, to when he fell at Gammy's house and bumped himself all up, to the tree that got hit by lightning down the street from our house and toppled over, catching on the wires and sending sparks flying everywhere. (Our friends J&G were driving by at the exact time that this all happened and if the tree had not gotten hung up by the wires, it would have fallen directly on their van!)

I finally said to him, "Kiddo, I don't want to hear any more bad stuff. Tell me something that is good. Tell me about something that you've done lately that was fun."

"Well..." says he, "My cars are fun."

"Yes, your cars are fun. What else?" I replied.

"Um...eating is good. And storms. Storms are when the warm air and the cold air meet and go BAM! and then you have lightning and thunder! Lightning hit that tree..."

I interrupt him to say, "Yes, eating is good. Let's not talk about storms. I don't think they fall into the 'good' category, OK?"

"OK," he says.

"What else, bud? What did you do this weekend that was fun, do you remember?"

After some prompting, he said, "OH! The Secret Festable! That was lots of fun, Mom!"

So we started talking about all the fun things he got to do and see at the "festable."

If I can force him to talk about good and positive and fun things, shouldn't I be forced to do the same? Someone force me, please?

****************************

"Cuadros del festival"

It means "Pictures from the Festival" in Spanish.

I just thought it sounded cooler (more worldly) than "Pictures from the Festival."

Ah...what do I know?

TTFN
JMS










Little Bit dancing to a band covering Beatles songs. Havin' a great time!










Kiddo coming off of the "Pirate Ship" inflatable fun thing that was actually called "Treasure Island." This was a big hit and we revisited it a lot.










Kiddo taking his turn (he did not do so well understanding the "take turns" concept) on the kiddie T-Ball inflatable. He actually hit all the balls! If you look carefully, you can see one inside the thing just before it bounces! We were very proud of him.










Little Bit enjoying her first experience in a sand-box. This one was approximately 15' x 15' and filled with nice sand. It has all kinds of neat toys and treasure buried in the sand so the kids had a great time digging up stuff. (Ok...I'm not 100% positive this was Little Bit's first sand box experience, but it's pretty darn close.)










Kiddo showing off one of the fake gold coins he unearthed from the enormous sand box. (And friend GW's head in the background.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jenny,

Why are you always so hard on yourself? KNOCK THAT OFF!!!!!
The pictures are terrific.
LET US HAVE A BE GOOD TO JENNIFER DAY...........
Love,
AC

The Bashams said...

Jennifer -- your church directory picture is lots better than ours. i hate getting pictures done. I tell my husband all the time that i will leave him the day john C. comes knocking at the door! I haven't read any new Nora Roberts lately. I will have to check those out. We are so busy getting packed up to move into our new house i haven't read anything lately. hopefully things will slow down soon. By the way, where in TN are you? i grew up in Franklin (outside Nashville).

Anonymous said...

How funny.... Riley says "festable" too! I love kids.... :=)

and by the way, all I feel like I do is bitch and stay negative myself, so I'm in your club, sister!

I also have those clothes in the back of my car...lol If I can think about it, I'll try to drop them off this weekend....