Thursday, June 12, 2008

Former Owner of 287

We got a letter from the little old lady who used to own the house we live in. She was wondering if we had any of her mail and if so, could we please put it in the enclosed SASE and send it to her? OK, we have a few random pieces of mail addressed to her, but it's all junk mail. I'm happy to send it to her, but it will take more than her single, standard-size, #10 envelope. And, according to her letter, she orders US Mint things for her grand kids and she's concerned because she hasn't received them and US Mint claims they sent them to our house. We do not have the US Mint letters she's specifically looking for. So how do I tell her this? Do I send her the junk mail that we have (like 4 pieces) along with a letter telling her that we have nothing of interest? Do I try to contact her son, who happens to work with a good friend of ours, to ask him to come get the stuff and then let him send it on to her? Do I tell him that we don't have anything from the US Mint? I want to write to her (I have wanted to write to her for a long time, but never had her new address until now) but not to discuss mail delivery issues. I want to tell her that we're happy in her home, that we're taking good care of it, and the the kids really love their bedrooms. I want to tell her how much it means to me that we were able to buy her house because we knew from the second we first set foot inside the house that it was the one for us. Hubby and I looked at hundreds of houses over the years and could never agree on one; this one was instant attraction and we both knew it. Anyway - maybe I will contact her son for the mail issue, but write to her about the other stuff? I don't really know why this is a such big deal to me, but it is. This lovely woman lived in our house for 50 years, raised four kids in that house, nursed an invalid husband in the house, learned to live her life again in that house after her husband died, mowed her own lawn, tended to her plants and made memories there. How can I discount all of that? I want to live a life in that house and be even half as successful as she was...that would be a huge accomplishment. I wonder if I should ask her if she ever had a cat? (Another story for another time.) TTFN JMS

1 comment:

Oneofeach said...

OK...I know how badly I would love to hear about my old houses that were where I brought my son home and was newly married...so please, please write her about all of these wonderful things....I think I notice a tear....sniff.