Tuesday, July 22, 2008

"Mom, where do babies come from?"

We're all in the car, riding home from Vacation Bible School last night and Kiddo says to me, "Mom...did you poop [Little Bit] out?" Thinking that he was asking if we tired her out, Hubby responded, "Yep - we sure did, bud! She's pretty tired." "No, Dad," he says with all the disdain a four-year-old can muster. "Where did she come from? How did she get out of your belly, Mom?" I'm so stunned by the randomness of this question that I have no ability to speak, and Hubby can see by the look on my face that it is up to him to respond to this question. "She pushed her out," he says, simply. "Oh," says Kiddo. "Did it hurt, Mom?" Recovering slightly, I was able to answer, "Yes, it did." "Oh," he says again, shaking his head. "I'm sorry that happened." "I'm not," I responded. "I got both of my beautiful kids that way!" Silence reigned for a few minutes, until I said to Hubby, "I wonder where he came up with that? Where did he hear it?" Since where babies come from is not really a topic of conversation around our house the only thing we can think of is that he saw something on TV that made him question the reality of where his sister came from. We asked Kiddo what made him think of it, and he did not have an answer. He said he was just thinking about it, that's all. Up to this point, we've only told him that they (he and his sister) came from God; an answer that has satisfied him completely in the past. But, I guess we're past that point now and he's starting to question the simplicity of the answers we've given him to previously asked questions. I don't know. It felt like such a turning point. Has his brain really advanced that much? He seems to be growing by leaps and bounds in the smarts department. He's started drawing very human-like figures and understands that hands need fingers and faces need eyebrows and ears and hair. He has always had fantastic language skills, and though he still says words that are not quite right, we have never been worried that he won't eventually understand how to say and/or use them correctly. But this? This was like an epiphany to me. An oh-my-gosh-where-did-my-baby-boy-go moment. Whatever it is or was, it just hammers home that statement I've heard 1000 times since I became a parent: Don't blink, or you'll miss it. Before you know it, they're grown and gone and you wonder if they were ever really that little. TTFN JMS

No comments: