Monday, July 14, 2008

R&R - Stands for either Rest & Relaxation or Rescues & Robberies

It has rained quite a lot lately - which is a very good thing for the Earth, but not such a good thing in the minds of Kiddo and Little Bit, who have not really been able to get out to play much in the past few days. Last night, Hubby suggested we pack a picnic and go to the park to eat and play. We made PB&J sandwiches, and packed grapes, bananas, potato chips, two sippy cups with milk, and a few other goodies and headed out. I drove. This is important. We got there, did some sleuthing to determine when the park closed, parked the car and as everyone exited the vehicle, we locked the doors. As I got out, I did what I always do: I tossed my car keys in my purse and slung my purse over my shoulder. Then I grabbed the diaper bag and the kids little folding chairs, ready to go. Hubby asked, "What are you bringing your purse for? Why don't you leave it in the trunk?" I dumped my purse in the trunk thinking it would be nice not to have to carry it around with me, and we headed over to the play equipment and picnic tables. Remember...keys are in my purse, which is now in the trunk, and the car is locked up tight. The park was somewhat damp, but not so soaked that we couldn't play. (I've got pictures and will post them later because I forgot to bring my camera with me today so I could download them to my computer.) We played and played and ate and then played some more. It was a lovely evening, with a slight breeze which kept the heat and humidity down to bearable levels. We listened to a buzzing squawking sound that came from all over the wooded area we were playing in and spent some time contemplating what made the noise. (My guess is tree frogs.) We walked over to the boat launch and the fishing dock to look at the water. We went back and played some more. We took some really good pictures. As we got ready to leave, hubby asked, "Where are your keys? I'll go put some of this stuff in the car." "Um... Ah... In my purse," say I. The look my husband cast in my direction was anything but pleasant - as if I'd planned to lock us out of our car. We called B&TG, who went to our gloriously messy house and found Hubby's back-up keys, and then met us at the park. We were rescued in short order and were probably only locked out for maybe 45 minutes, if that. See...this is why I always want to bring my purse with me - even if it is a burden. Because nothing good ever comes of leaving my purse in the trunk. The last time I did this (OK, maybe not the last, last time...but pretty close) I was going to a club in Providence, RI with some friends and we all left our purses and coats in the trunk of my friend's car. The four of us went in to the club, spent a happy two hours people watching, and then decided to go home. Only to find, upon our return to the parking lot, that all the windows of the car (windshield and rear window, too) were busted wide open, there was glass everywhere, the stereo was missing, and everything that was in the trunk was gone. Coats, too. It was January. In Rhode Island. 50+ miles from home. That was one cold, cold, depressing ride. TTFN JMS

No comments: