Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Movie Review: The Bucket List

Well, probably not a review - exactly - but take this however you will...review or not. I made the mistake of watching The Bucket List Monday night. By mistake, I do not mean that I regret watching this movie; the movie was wonderful. But, by nature, I'm an emotional person and this movie put a lump in my throat that didn't go away for the entire length of the film. I knew it would be a good idea for me to turn it off and not watch it after the first 20 minutes. I knew I would be a sobbing, sloppy, slobbering, sniffling, puffy mess afterward. I watched it anyway. Usually, I could take or leave Jack Nicholson as an actor; he's not my favorite, but he's not my least favorite, either. I think he's been in some absolutely wonderful movies and when he shines, he really shines. (That was, and yet was not, a reference to The Shining; a truly spectacular scary movie.) He was a quintessential Jack Nicholson character in this movie - crass, crabby, self-oriented, selfish - he was perfect. Morgan Freeman, whom I love, was equally compelling in this movie. He was the Yin to Nicholson's Yang (or vice versa - I really have no idea which is which!). He was the sugar to Nicholson's salt. He was sweet and kind and knew exactly what he wanted. The relationship these two "friends" form is unusual but thoroughly entertaining. I'm glad I watched it - even if I did cry my eyes out at the end! I also had two shots of the Amaretto Disaronno (the only alcohol in the house besides beer [ick] and isopropyl) to calm myself down before attempting to sleep. TTFN JMS

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did the exact same thing when I was PMSing last month and decided to watch The Pursuit of Happyness. Holy lord.... I cried through the whole second half of the movie... even when it's happy I cry.... so I'm screwed either way. So I'm right there with ya, sister!