Thursday, January 22, 2015

Stinkin' Thinkin'

Why is it, when things are going well, you (well…I) wait for the other shoe to drop?  The jinx to occur.  The sky to fall.  The rug to be pulled out from under my feet.  You get the picture?  I’m happy where I am and I keep waiting on something to happen.  I guess I feel like if I wait for it, then when it occurs, I’m prepared.  Or, as prepared as one can ever be.

 

When I got laid off from my job a few years ago, it was completely and totally unexpected.  "They" spent a lot of time assuring everyone that, though there were big changes afoot within the company, no one had to worry about their jobs.  And then, once said changes took place, they immediately began laying people off.  I was one of the lucky ones that received The Pink Slip Of Doom in the first round.

 

And folks wonder why, when things are going well, I say, “Yeah, for now.”

 

To me, it’s not negative thinking.  Stinkin’ Thinkin’.  It is self-preservation.  If I prepare for the worst, or at least the bad, then the blow isn’t quite as devastating.  

 

In truth, I suppose it really doesn’t work that way.

 

TTFN
JMS


PS: No. Nothing is wrong. And that's what scares me.

No comments: